The Mauch Chunk Opera House was designed by Addison Hutton, noted architect from Philadelphia, and originally housed a farmer's market on the first floor and concert hall on the second. The affluent citizens of old Mauch Chunk (now Jim Thorpe) decided to foot the bill to build the Opera House themselves. They could then attend top-notch performances right in their own town. Eventually, the Opera House became a regular stop on the old vaudeville circuit, with entertainers such as Al Jolson, Eddie Foy and Mae West gracing the stage. Then in 1927, the building was purchased by the Comerford amusement chain, who renovated extensively. For roughly the next three decades the Opera House became known as the Capitol Theater, a movie house. In 1962, when the movie theater business was in decline, the Capitol Theater closed. The building was then purchased by Berkeley Bags Company, a pocketbook manufacturer, and used as a warehouse. In 1975, the Mauch Chunk Historical Society of Carbon County purchased the building. Today, the Mauch Chunk Opera House once again is rising to its former glory as the jewel of the community and respected venue for live performance and cultural events. One hundred and twenty years later, music lovers and theater goers still appreciate the intimate space and excellent acoustics of the Mauch Chunk Opera House.
|Address:||14 West Broadway
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania 18229