MOUNTAIN PIE CHAMPIONSHIP
sponsored by the PA Camping
Do you have what it takes to be the…
2017 Mountain Pie Champion of Pennsylvania?
CATEGORIES: 1) SWEET (DESSERT PIE) 2) SAVORY (MEAT, SEAFOOD, EGG OR VEGETABLE PIE)
Mountain Pies, Hobo Pies, or Camper Pies, whatever you call those tasty little gems that are a campfire favorite, are going to take center stage during the 2017 camping season. Participating Pennsylvania Campground Owners Association member’s campgrounds will feature a good old-fashioned culinary competition at their campground one day during the 2017 camping season.
Using three judges, each participating PCOA campground shown below will choose two winners. Those winners will be eligible for the state competition to be held during the Gratz Fair on Saturday afternoon, September 23, 2017. The village of Gratz is located in Dauphin County, just 35 miles north of Harrisburg, Pa.
Judging Criteria for the 2017 Mountain Pie Contest
- Flavor includes aroma, taste, and good balance….. 30 points
- Consistency of filling, correct doneness and overall moistness ….. 25 points
- Crust – color, texture, doneness ….. 20 points
- Overall visual appeal. Does the pie look appetizing? ….. 15 points
- Creativity. How creative is the pie? Including plate presentation ….. 10 points
1. Only one entry per person per category.
2. It is the contestant’s responsibility to cook his or her pie in the wood fire provided and to
present it to the judges table on a paper plate.
3. The recipe for the Mountain Pie must be submitted with the entry. It should be submitted on an
8½ x 11 piece of paper and must list all the ingredients, quantities and preparation instructions.
Entrant’s name, address and phone number must be printed on the back side of the recipe
sheet. Recipes will not be returned and become the property of PCOA.
One winner will be chosen in each category at each participating campgound. The winners will be encouraged
to participate in the state competition at the
Gratz Fair in Gratz, PA on September 23, 2017.
STATE FIRST PRIZE:
In each category, the winner will receive a check for $500
STATE SECOND PRIZE: $200 in PCOA Camping Certificates
STATE THIRD PRIZE: $100 in PCOA Camping Certificates
Participating campgrounds will be listed soon. Check back to see which parks are holding local contests. Take part in the contest at any one of the competitions or try your luck several competitions this summer.